Hi,

I've developed a patch for libmagic 5.14 which is available under
http://belski.net/phpz/finfo/finfo_5.14_5.patch.gz . For those willing
to test please overwrite ext/fileinfo/tests/magic with
http://belski.net/phpz/finfo/magic.mgc.gz (not contained in the patch).

I've tested it on Linux and Windows, the issues it brings are minimal.
The tests failing are test fails due to the lib upgrade.

The reason I'm suggesting the patch now is that there was a discussion
on IRC about upgrading libmagic for 5.5. We haven't have any upgrades to
the filenfo extension on all the branches since about 1 year. That's why
tickets like bug #64462 come to the life. David is going to tag the
beta2 tomorrow, so there is kind of time pressure.

IMHO it'd really make sense to put the upgraded libmagic into 5.5
despite it's beta already. Even 5.4 would come to question. At the
moment we have libmagic 5.11 in all the branches. With this we're about
a year back in time. Thinking that 5.5 without even have been released
yet has two years old libmagic in a year is not nice. 5.4 would also
profit from that IMHO. Of course I cant guarantee (as this is a bit
sudden) the patch is perfect yet, it has some bugs for sure. However the
patch is related only to libmagic, no line of fileinfo ext is touched.
I'm sure any possible issues canbe fixed over the next couple of weeks.
I'll be working on improvements to it in the next days anyway.

What +/- I personally see upgrading this at this time:

contra:
- there might be bugs, the next release might have not all them fixed
- 5.11 is what the latest linux exts have even as dev
- older/custom magic files might be incompatible

pro:
- latest libmagic data
- better safety for the future
- in a year all that libs are for sure upgraded in the main distros
- further upgrades can be better handled

Please note that the latest libmagic upgrade was from 5.02 to 5.11 and
there was no significant breach in 5.3+. I can just repeat that
upgrading 5.4+ would make pretty much sense when looking forward.

Cheers

Anatol