> In my opinion UTC is a good compromise.

I agree that _in the absence of any other setting_ there's nothing
wrong with using UTC! Let be clear: UTC is a perfectly fine hands-off
default rather than issuing a warning. Non-technical end users will
guess you're on London time but whatever.

And if you think 'London time' is UTC then you will get just as many problems
half of tbe year. Once one is WORKING using timezones, you need to actually
understand that for some timezones, the time will be an hour different for half
of the year and simply assuming that the time offset from the browser is
correct is as bad as assuming UTC is London time.

The many problems being tributed to automatically setting a server timezone
were always more due to understanding that the server was getting things like
daylight saving wrong. Set the server to UTC and then select a DISPLAY timezone
makes managing time a lot easier. Add to that the option to user a client set
timezone and one is good to go ....