> Then set the TZ to UTC or whatever else fits your needs. Server side
> TZ from a php point of view can be set to whatever you want, be at the
> php.ini level or in your application configuration (and call the
> appropriate function).

Was there something that indicated I don't know how to do this? I have
always done it and have no problem with it. I don't mind how it works
now at all.

Lester's point is UTC is the right default (and thus the battle over
the E_WARNING should be settled that way). I happen to agree with that
part, but disagree from heavy experience with the notion that "UTC or
end-user-selectable" is the only choice you have once you set a value.

> Let the user has an option and use this option to set the right TZ at
> the beginning of each request. That's what every tool I know does.

(a) You don't know all the tools in the world.

(b) Please show me how every major web app gives you a clearly visible
and encouraged option to set the tz _at the beginning of each session_
(I don't think you mean request). Happy to send screenshots to the
contrary.

(c) When a web app lets the user change her/his profile parameters
(which is certainly common) this is irrelevant to their session (so if
they change it when they're in City A, they have to change it again in
City B and C as they jump around), (b) on an advanced setup tab
somewhere.

You're dead wrong if you think traveling telecommuters are always
looking at -- let alone want to look at -- their local time.

> That being said, I do not knwow which apps you use to organize your
> time plans but all we used here do the conversion for you. Users
> hate, me included, to have meetings and other time related
> activities notifications using a different TZ that the one where I
> am (which can change).

Well... that's not the way every set of organizations work, hate to
break it to ya. For some apps the Chennai office is at least in part
on San Francisco time. This can be because they remote in and don't
constantly set the TZ in their Citrix session, or because they use a
web app and, like most real users, can't be bothered to find the
setting and are not in any way nagged to do so.

This doesn't mean that some scheduler app doesn't display their local
time _as well_ as the origin time. But have you ever seen the ol' wall
of world clocks? There's a reason for that. I like to work that way
and so to lots of humans.

> Then do it this way:

> - default in php.ini
> - override default is an user has his TZ option set

I don't need these instructions, which are quite condescending. (And
if you think *I* need them, how can this coexist with the fantasy that
non-programmers always tightly manage their TZ?)

-- S.