Hi

2013/6/26 Yasuo Ohgaki <yohg...@ohgaki.net>:
> PHP 5.4: Keep current behavior
> PHP 5.4: Riase E_ERROR and return FALSE for invalid length.
> PHP 5.5: Remove E_ERROR.

Never ever will we raise an E_ERROR. E_ERROR means that we left the
Engine in a state from which we cannot recover from, standard library
function should never prevent execution of a script as this will
introduce inconsistency, if we leave the Engine in a 'recoverable'
state, then we should use E_RECOVERABLE_ERROR, but this is far from
that. We already fixed a few of those in the past, I believe when 5.3
was shipped, we had pretty much killed all of those along when the new
parameter parsing API was being standardized.

I agree that this E_WARNING is sort of serve, and we should just
return false for invalid values, as we don't need to be THAT detailed,
maybe an E_NOTICE could work better here even in case something fails
and the developer must know WHY this happened, I believe we do this in
a few places around the core and its extensions.

--
regards,

Kalle Sommer Nielsen
ka...@php.net