Hi Zeev,

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:

> Hi Zeev,
>

> On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:
>
> As we’re getting closer to release 5.6.0, and given the very high level of
> interest in phpng, I think it’s time for us to provide some clarity
> regarding what happens post 5.6.0.
>

> Are you willing to have 5.7 branch?
>
> It gives us more time to develop/cleanup/test. It's especially important
> for
>
> 3rd party module developers.
>
> Can you explain a bit more what you mean by that?  I generally don’t think
> we should invest in another feature release before this next phpng-based
> major version (that’s my personal thinking).  It’ll spread our limited
> resources too thin;  But maybe I didn’t quite understand what you had in
> mind for putting in the 5.7 branch.

Sorry that my mail is not precise enough.
I'm not sure your intention if we are going to have master branch as
successor of
PHP 5.6 or not.

If it is PHP 5.6 successor, then we have less than a year before feature
freeze.
If there is PHP 5.7 branch, I suppose we have more than a year before
feature freeze.

I feel less than a year for new major version is too short, so I would like
to have PHP 5.7,
then a year later PHP 6/7. There are too many things that I would like to
cleanup. I'm mainly
interested in userland API cleanups/additions as well as mbstring/session
internal.

Developing 5.7 and 6/7 at the same is beneficial to us, too. We may
implement migration
features in 5.7. 3rd party module developers will have enough time to
migrate before release
also. We may have long alpha period for 6/7. I suppose having 5.7 branch
does not waste
yours and your people's time much if phpng became master.

BTW, I'm in favor of PHP 7.

Regards,

--
Yasuo Ohgaki