> -----Original Message-----
> From: Lester Caine [mailto:les...@lsces.co.uk]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 10:12 AM
> To: PHP internals
> Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] RFC: Move phpng to master
>
> Big users don't use PHP ...

Just to elaborate (slightly) on Dmitry's answer  - this is an absolutely
wrong and also fairly dangerous misconception.  PHP is the most widely used
dynamic language out there for web sites, and it's used by many of the
largest companies out there.  In fact, there are very few companies that
don't use PHP at all - whether it's for their main website or internal apps.

Judging by the response to my benchmarks post (10K views in the first 5
days, which I have to admit is very uncommon), the number of retweets,
questions and discussions it sparked - I'd say the level of interest is
very, very high.

I do recommend that instead of wasting time arguing about theory, at least
at this point, we focus on doing.  The first logical step (in my humble
opinion) is to move phpng into master and close any remaining gaps as
quickly as possible.
In parallel, people who want to get additional things into 6/7 should
hustle, instead of assuming they have 2-3 years of lingering to rely on.
RFCs we already agreed are going to be in the next version - like the
uniform variable syntax and the 64-bit patch - will make it into master
pretty quickly, I think we can count on Nikita here.

For 6/7, we should primarily focus on things that we can only do in a major
version - i.e. things that break compatibility.  We should do so while
keeping in mind that this is *not* an opportunity for wholesale breakage, as
then we risk very slow or no migration (like we had between 4 and 5).  New
features can be added in the yearly .1/.2 releases too - so if they make it
into .0 - great, but if not, no big deal.  I stand by my statement that I'm
sure a great deal of users (my guesstimate - the majority) would happily
upgrade to PHP.NEXT even if the huge performance gains were the only thing
there.

Zeev