Hi!

> There’s no real objective measure with which I can answer such
> questions :)
>
> The closest I could come to a rebuttal is if there’s no real need to
> make the syntax so restrictive, why not make it less restrictive?

"Why not" is usually not a very good reason for a change in the language
syntax. There is, however, a reason why it is restrictive - so that
there would be less chance for the end tag to collide with the actual
text being heredoc'ed, and so that the end of the text would be clearly
demarcated (since the text itself, being taken verbatim, can not be
properly indented/delimited within the text).

My belief is that the change have positive value of "changing something
for the better minus changing something for the worse" and so far I'm
not really convinced as of now that this change has it, especially given
the BC break potential.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/