On 31 Aug, 2014, at 6:12 am, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
>> There’s no real objective measure with which I can answer such
>> questions :)
>>
>> The closest I could come to a rebuttal is if there’s no real need to
>> make the syntax so restrictive, why not make it less restrictive?
>
> "Why not" is usually not a very good reason for a change in the language
> syntax. There is, however, a reason why it is restrictive - so that
> there would be less chance for the end tag to collide with the actual
> text being heredoc'ed, and so that the end of the text would be clearly
> demarcated (since the text itself, being taken verbatim, can not be
> properly indented/delimited within the text).

I agree, but I can see how this argument is going in circles; my point (and
that of Nikita) is that if the enclosure naturally occurs within the quotation,
it’s a bad enclosure and a better one should be picked. The rule of requiring a
newline directly following the closing delimiter is more of a hindrance than it
is helpful imo.