On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Thomas Gossmann <m...@gossimaniac.net>
wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I'm just a php developer, thus not even having a php.net account.
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to deprecate/remove the function keyword
> from class methods in php7 or at least make it optional when one of the
> visibility keywords is present?
>
> I feel like writing a completely unnecessary keyword each time I write a
> new method for a class.
>
> I guess this was a discussion earlier, though I wasn't able to find
> anything about it. Would love to hear, what pdt-internals (re-)think about
> that topic.
>
> Thanks,
> gossi

Removing the function keyword makes it more difficult for people to find
method definitions. This has historically been a significant factor in why
this hasn't been done.

Also, what does this change actually bring to the table? There is no actual
benefit to the language or tooling; in fact it probably makes the tooling
more difficult. All this means is that the user types the function keyword
less and saves a very, very small amount of time.

In summary, historically we have felt that the benefits do not outweigh the
drawbacks.