On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Ingwie Phoenix <ingwie2...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

> Am 03.10.2014 um 19:38 schrieb Levi Morrison <le...@php.net>:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Thomas Gossmann <m...@gossimaniac.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hey there,
> >>
> >> I'm just a php developer, thus not even having a php.net account.
> >>
> >> I was wondering if it is possible to deprecate/remove the function
> keyword
> >> from class methods in php7 or at least make it optional when one of the
> >> visibility keywords is present?
> >>
> >> I feel like writing a completely unnecessary keyword each time I write a
> >> new method for a class.
> >>
> >> I guess this was a discussion earlier, though I wasn't able to find
> >> anything about it. Would love to hear, what pdt-internals (re-)think
> about
> >> that topic.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> gossi
> >

> > Removing the function keyword makes it more difficult for people to find
> > method definitions. This has historically been a significant factor in
> why
> > this hasn't been done.
> >
> > Also, what does this change actually bring to the table? There is no
> actual
> > benefit to the language or tooling; in fact it probably makes the tooling
> > more difficult. All this means is that the user types the function
> keyword
> > less and saves a very, very small amount of time.
> >
> > In summary, historically we have felt that the benefits do not outweigh
> the
> > drawbacks.
>

> I usually just observe on this list, but this is a topic I have come
> across myself.
>
> PHP has followed the C++ syntax, and logical scoping like namespace,s
> since a long time - if not, eversince. C++ does not use a function keyword
> by itself, and even lesser visibility keywords as PHP does.
>
> I find it rather ugly seeing „public function foo()“ everywhere, when
> everybody knows that parantheses mean function. So, I see readability as a
> plus.
>
> <?php class Foo {
>     public bar($a, $b) { return $a+$b; }
> } ?>
>
> It actually is not a drawback, but rather an enhancement that would
> increase PHP’s readability, in my opinion. It could be introduced as
> „syntactic shuggar“, where people can, but dont have to, use the function
> keyword. For the lexer, this just seems to be one more if().

I do not really agree with this point, whilst it is possible and creates
more concise structure, it changes a lot of things under the hoods...
Looking for a method and uncertain of the visibility in grep, vim, etc?
Have fun finding it... now you're doing expressions like
/(public|protected|private)\s+methodName/.  So while you saved typing in
"function" which your WPS as a programmer is quite high.  I doubt it is
going to make much of a difference for you.

> I don’t see a lot of evolution in PHP lately, so something small as this
> might be pretty nice! :)

I don't think you have been watching closely enough, there has been a ton
of evolutions lately...
https://wiki.php.net/rfc#php_70