hi Andrea,

On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 12:27 PM, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> Parameter type hints for PHP’s scalar types are a long-requested feature for
> PHP. Today I am proposing an RFC which is a new attempt to add them to the
> language. It is my hope that we can finally get this done for PHP 7.
>
> I’d like to thank Dmitry, who emailed me and gave me some feedback on the
> draft RFC and some improvements to the patch. He encouraged me to put this to
> internals sooner rather than later, as it’s a feature many people are hoping
> will be in PHP 7.
>
> The new RFC can be found here: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/scalar_type_hints
>
> As well as the RFC, there is a working Zend Engine III patch with tests, and
> an incomplete specification patch.
>
> Please read the RFC (and specification patch, if you wish) and tell me your
> thoughts.

Thanks, great work and persistent effort!

As I am also slightly in favor of a strict way, this RFC is a good compromise.

Some comments:

- on-numeric strings not accepted. Numeric strings with trailing
characters are accepted, but produce a notice.

I would rather not allow fancy conversions here. Any trailing non
white spaces characters should not be allowed. I know it is not what
PHP does now in some cases but this is really a fuzzy area and never
really matched any actual needs or usages.

I am also not a fan of errors, exception, at least for methods, make
much more sense. I know it is relatively easy to handle errors as
exception but still, let do it right now.

Cheers,
--
Pierre

@pierrejoye | http://www.libgd.org