Hello Jan,

An annotated diff would be very welcome! But more or less complete
documentation as well.

Jan

What about placing such informations in the section of PHP manual like http://php.net/manual/en/internals2.php (for ZE3, of course). I suspect that writing regular text files in repo or updating page on the wiki is faster, but, well, I also think that's what we have documentation for. It would also allow us to remove some documentation files from php-src, like:

- README.EXT_SKEL
- README.NEW_OUTPUT_API
- README.PARAMETERS_PARSING_API
- README.STREAMS
- README.TESTING
- README.TESTING2
- README.UNIX-BUILD-SYSTEM
- README.WIN32-BUILD-SYSTEM
- README.input_filter
- README.namespaces

or even guidelines for developers such as coding standards, release process etc.

We have many informations, which can live in more suitable place, IMO.

I'm totally aware that those files are tend to be more up-to-date thanks to placing them directly where core developers work. However, we have wiki pages for internals stuff, so why not move it to the manual and provide better "Zend Hacker's Guide"? There were some complaints about its incompleteness and creation of Zend Engine 3 is a great opportunity to fix it.

I know that you don't have much time - core development is much more important and it's understandable, but please consider this proposal. I can help with directly porting files mentioned above and changes for ZE3 from wiki and UPGRADING.INTERNALS if it will help somehow. If so, be aware that I don't have skills to check its meritorical correctness, though.

Regards,
Maciej.