Hi,

> On 9 Feb 2015, at 03:48, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:
>
> A - has pretty much everybody agreeing with is a good idea.  Nobody objects
> to it.  It's under consensus.

This isn't true. I've explained why it isn't true several times. Maybe you are
suffering from confirmation bias or something, but there is no such
"consensus". Quite a few internals contributors liked v0.1. Quite a few didn't.
I've gone and evidenced this before in replies sent directly to you.

In addition, the reaction from the wider community was largely negative.

> B - has a large number of people thinking it's alien to PHP, and has many
> people objecting to it.

B also has a large number of supporters because it is a pragmatic compromise.

A also had a large number of detractors.

> The vote is on A+B.

No it isn't.

You are claiming, as I understand it, that:

* Weak typing has consensus (it doesn't)
* Strict typing is entirely controversial (it has many supporters, however)
* This proposal including both somehow nullifies the argument that weak typing
lacks consensus (it doesn't - someone is free to oppose the addition of
something in isolation yet support its addition in combination)

The truth of the matter is this. There are at least two approaches to scalar
type hint behaviour: weak and strict. Both are highly controversial. The
addition of either exclusively, is controversial. The addition of both
together, is controversial. The addition of "stricter" weak typing, is
controversial. The issue of scalar type hints is highly controversial in
general for these reasons.

There is no consensus whatsoever. To suggest there is would be to grossly
exaggerate.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/