On 09/02/15 10:44, Andrea Faulds wrote:
> There is no consensus whatsoever. To suggest there is would be to grossly
> exaggerate.

I am just happy that to force change through a 2/3rds majority is
required. If there was a consensus then the debate would not have been
so extensive, but while the continuing chant of 'you don't have to use
it' prevails, we end up with a lot of additional overheads just to keep
a small number of users happy.

In the case of this vote, the vote itself IS flawed as two different
additions ARE being pushed together, and personally I feel that the yes
vote IS being distorted by those who want weak typing and could not care
less about strong typing. That neither of the proposed solutions
actually provide a complete solution for either camp is a shame.

I do understand why many of these extras can't simply be user selectable
extensions, but just how many of the 'core' modules are actually needed
for a basic PHP server. Yes I need 'typing' but I need a version that
handles the types I am using not some rather limited subset, and
improvements in PHP7 has increased the need for a proper typing system
which scalar type hints does nothing to address :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL