On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 6:33 AM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:
> [...]

I did not expect you to agree. I would be surprised if you do.

> I think 1:1 or group discussions are completely legitimate, and they're not
> only legitimate - they can be very productive.
>
> There's a huge gap between making decisions in closed groups, or doing 'arm
> bending' - and private discussions, which I repeat, are completely
> legitimate.
> Private discussions happen all the time, in countless mediums.  Conferences,
> emails, IRC (public in theory, private in practice), Twitter DMs and more.
>
> There's absolutely nothing wrong with discussing an idea directly with one
> or more people before bugging thousands of people with it.  They'd all be
> better served if the idea presented to them already had a slightly more than
> just one person standing behind it (which is an inherent side effect of
> barring private discussions as you suggest), and had some of the initial
> issues weeded out.

To discuss at an idea or concept at events and co? Indeed. We all do
that. The difference is how to move it to a group discussions and grab
other people thoughts to actually get it done, with consensus. The
latter part is totally absent using your process.

Discussing,  working, implementing something for weeks or months
privately? NDA and all that? Sorry, this is not the PHP I want.

Weeding out the initial issues? I wonder which magic you use to be
able to figure out all issues based on the experiences or thoughts of
a couple of people. It does not work. What you say is that a very
small group is able to pin point the perfect proposal better than
actually discussing it on the open channels. This is wrong in so many
ways.

Cheers,
Pierre