On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Alain Williams <a...@phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 26, 2015 at 10:31:00PM +0000, Rowan Collins wrote:
>
> > What I've always been annoyed by is the *precedence* of the operator -
> having to add brackets to mix it with string concatenation, etc - which it
> turns out to is the same in all sorts of languages.
>
> It is the ''all sorts of languages'' that is key here. The point is that
> PHP
> associativity for ?: is different from other languages and it is that that
> confuses and leads to bugs. What is right/wrong is not as important as all
> others doing it the other way.
>
> --
> Alain Williams
> Linux/GNU Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT
> Lecturer.
> +44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
> Parliament Hill Computers Ltd. Registration Information:
> http://www.phcomp.co.uk/contact.php
> #include <std_disclaimer.h>
>
> --

The feature freeze thing kinda rings hollow for me, as well, because we
were debating this fairly recently before the feature freeze and we still
got pushback from people who feared BC breakage.  This is a bug (whether
we're calling it one or not, it is a bug) and it needs to be fixed.  PHP
does handle it differently, yes, but the different way in which it's
handling it is wrong.  At least, that seems to be the prevailing opinion
among devs.

If we don't put this in 7.0 because of the feature freeze, it needs to go
into the next minor version if the RFC passes.  We should've pulled the
trigger on this before the feature freeze and we shouldn't have to wait
until 8.0 because of that.

--Kris