On Fri, 2015-03-27 at 08:03 -0400, Michael Morris wrote:
> While breaking backwards compatibility for its own sake is bad, avoiding it
> to keep a bug in the system is worse in my opinion. And again, this is a
> bug. If the way PHP associates could be used for something that would be
> different, but it can't. I honestly doubt any code even exists that takes
> advantage of the current behavior.

What you are suggesting is not just "breaking BC" but "Changing behavior
of code in a hard to debug way" as previously working code will suddenly
start to do something else than expected probably without emitting any
error.

If you want this to run this requires a clear migration strategy for the
billions of lines of code out there.

Till this is provided please help focusing on things we can actually
improve, like testing PHP 7 to make sure it will be a stable release.

Thanks,
johannes