>>   3. I think they should all use Exception as the root instead having
>> a new root with multiple children (and yes, I am aware of the impact
>> of this, and it has already been discussed on this list).
>

> This done on purpose. To prevent catching of new exceptions by old PHP code.

We have code that previously triggered error handlers or got caught by
exceptions and now will not trigger the handler nor get caught. If
only fatal errors had been converted this would not be an issue, but
some non-fatals were converted (TypeException) and now we have this
issue. Why is that less of an issue than catching *all* exceptions?
(I'm seriously asking, that is not rhetorical)