Hi Anthony,

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > IMHO, escape/unescape/encode/decode/conversion function is better to
> accept
> > any types.
> > HTML template may be separated script, but database code etc may not.
> >
> > Writing code like
> >
> > <?php
> > declare(strict_types=1);
> > $sql = 'SELECT * FROM '. pg_escape_identifier((string)$table). ' WHERE
> id '.
> > pg_escpae_literal((string)$id).';';
> > pg_query($sql);
> > ?>
> >
> > is better to be avoided. i.e. (string) cast before passing parameter.
>
> I agree 100%. Instead, the developer should get an error if the
> parameter is not a string. Because it is an error. If you're passing

an array to `pg_escape_identifier`, you have FAR WORSE problems.
> Having the function accept anything and return anything (as you're
> proposing) would eliminate any ability to detect this problem.

I agree 100%.

> If people blind cast, that's their problem. We shouldn't make it
> harder for people to detect problems by blindly accepting anything
> under the sun.

strict_types=1 creates issue for int/float which is valid and accepted
without strict_types.

We will have mixed types due to type hint and it's problematic.
If escape functions accept string/int/float/object(only when
it has __toString), it's easier for users. Safety is guaranteed also.

Other than escape/conversion functions that expect "string" type
should get type errors.

> Another example. JSON decode convert numeric to int/float
> >
> > <?php
> > declare(strict_types=1);
> > $data = json_decode($json);
> > $str = mb_convert_kana((string) $data['some_data'], 'AKHV');
> > ?>
> >
> > Are we going to enforce users to use (string) casts for conversion
> functions
> > to switch
> > strict_types=1?
>
> No, the entire point is to have them actually validate the types.

I fully agree.

But people will do this, unless we make conversion functions accept
safe/valid scalars/objects... Or worse, people make assumption that
variables are safe to output w/o escape...

Since there weren't contracts before PHP7, I think we may adjust contract
for some functions before PHP7 release.

Regards,

--
Yasuo Ohgaki