Am 03.11.15 um 15:23 schrieb Bishop Bettini:
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 12:03 AM, Côme Chilliet <c...@opensides.be> wrote:
>
>> So basically my question is, is that something that should be "fixed" to
>> be consistent with previous PHP version, or should it stay that way as this
>> is what is documented and tested?
>>

> An equivalent question: Do you want to support this syntax going forward?
>
> It's a common enough format that users likely will try it before reading
> the documentation. But supporting it implies the code, the documentation,
> and now a footnote that it wasn't supported between 5.6.11 and 5.6.x.
>
> IMO, forbid it, adding a version note to the documentation: "5.6.11 --
> Support for the undocumented $host format 'hostname:port' was removed."
>
> bishop

Hi All

+1 on that solution. Just throwing "host:port" onto something doesn't
help anyone. Try that with "www.google.com:443" in your favourite
browser. Most will give you an error (if it's not port 80). So those
people that try it will eventually read the documentation on php.net and
then see that it's not supported.

The only extension I'd see to it would be to check whether someone is
trying that and raising an error in PHP describing that "this format is
not supported! Please use ldap(s)://hostname:port instead"

@come do you see to the version note in the documentation or shall I?

Cheers

Andreas

--