Answers inline

On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:58 AM, Chris Riley <t.carn...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> Ok then. I'll pretend that lack of interest didn't happen many other
>> situations (like http://marc.info/?t=144608767800001) and move on.
>>
>> I don't want to bring the patch up to date/simplify it without a clear
>> decision of at least be willing to discuss the patch and not reject by all
>> means.
>> I'd propose a voting as "Are you ready for Annotations yet?". Every core
>> developer understands (and can base their decisions) by looking at the
>> complexity of the old patch.
>>
>> Once voting completes and IF it gets approved, I'll gladly put it up to
>> date for consideration and update the RFC.
>>
>> []s,
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Rowan Collins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> > Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.
>> >
>> > I just did a very quick search on Google for php + mixins, limited to
>> 2007
>> > or earlier (long before the current Trait implementation was born), and
>> got
>> > plenty of results lamenting the lack of support for horizontal reuse in
>> PHP.
>> >
>> > See for yourself:
>> >
>> https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=php+%22horizontal+reuse%22&safe=active&hl=en&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A%2Ccd_max%3A12%2F31%2F2007&tbm=#safe=active&hl=en&tbs=cdr:1%2Ccd_max:12%2F31%2F2007&q=php+mixins
>> >
>> > It's a common accusation of projects like this that time was spent on X
>> > that should have been spent on Y, but that's nearly always a massive
>> > over-simplification.
>> >
>> > Let's not spend too much time worrying if specific people are
>> interested -
>> > they may just be on holiday, or busy elsewhere, or just not have much to
>> > say until someone assembles a few more details about the proposed
>> feature.
>> > Keep it constructive, lay out how you think the feature should look and
>> > why, what questions are still open, and see what's needed to move it
>> > forward.
>> >

>> > Regards,
>> > --
>> > Rowan Collins
>> > [IMSoP]
>> >
>> > --
>> >

>> --
>> Guilherme Blanco
>> MSN: guilhermebla...@hotmail.com
>> GTalk: guilhermeblanco
>> Toronto - ON/Canada
>>

> Given that a lot of userland people have voting rights; I would suspect
> that an annotations rfc would pass, provided it met the needs of these
> users. As far as docblocks vs native goes - you've convinced me that native
> would be best, previously I'd have been more in favour of adding a
> getAnnotations method to ReflectionClass/Method/Property, to pull in
> annotations from docblocks.
>
> I'd like to see this goto a new RFC here are some questions though:
>
> - Can annotations be applied to functions?

Yes, classes, interfaces, traits, methods, properties, functions.
Unfortunately we can't apply to namespaces as they don't exist after
compile time.

> - Class constants?

No, there's no Reflection data structure around them and imposing one would
be a serious BC break

Annotation classes would be annotated with @Annotation and their
corresponding @Target (where they could be applied).

> - Do we want to add decorator support at the same time? (
> http://thecodeship.com/patterns/guide-to-python-function-decorators/)

No. Annotations by itself is already a big endeavor and including more
stuff would only make it harder to implement/digest/approve.
What if Annotation gets approved, but people want decorator out? More
work...
Nothing prevent us to make a subsequent RFC to support decorators if the
first one gets accepted.

Regards,