On Wed, Dec 30, 2015 at 11:00:55PM +0000, Davey Shafik wrote:
> You mention no support for numeric strings, but how will settype($string,
> int|float), intval(), floatval(), is_numeric() and ctype_digit() work with
> this change?
>
> I do think if you don't change the semantics for strings to number
> conversion (which I agree you can't due to BC breaks) there should be an
> explicit way to support "1_000_000" => (int) 1_000_000. This should be part
> of the RFC.
>
> I presume that if you were to go from numeric to string the underscores
> would be stripped? What about a way not to do that? What will var_dump()
> etc. show?

I think that he is just talking about numeric constants in programs; he is not
talking about run time strings (eg read from a file/form) being allowed to
contain '_'.

Perl does exactly what Thomas is proposing, it does improve readability.

There is not a BC problem since today something like 1_000 is illegal as a
constant in a program.

I think that it is a good idea.

--
Alain Williams
Linux/GNU Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT