Thomas Punt wrote:

>> I'd like to propose for the inclusion of a digit separator in PHP. This will
>> help to promote the readability of numerical literals in code by enabling for
>> the underscore character to be used in between digits.
>>
>> RFC: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/number_format_separator
>> PR: https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/1699
>
> Just bringing this back up to the top because of the recent influx in
> internals
> activity. I'm hoping to put this to vote tomorrow, so if anyone has any
> questions or problems with this RFC, then please let me know!

Thanks for pushing that improvement forward, Tom.

AIUI, digit separators are stripped during lexing, so

  echo 1_000;

will print

  1000

I think it is important to explicitly note that in the RFC.

With regard to "stringy numerics": besides the potential BC break, IMHO
there is no need to support digit separators for string literals at all,
because that could easily be provided by a userland function.  Maybe
it's worth pointing that out in the RFC.

--
Christoph M. Becker