On Sat, 9 Jan 2016, Andrea Faulds wrote:

> Hi Stas,
>
> Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
>
> > Since in CoC discussion it was mentioned we may need anonymous
> > voting, I've created a patch that allows anonymous polls to be
> > created:
> >
> > https://github.com/php/web-wiki/pull/7
> >
> > The results still recorded per user, but everybody can see just
> > their own vote (for logged in users) and total summary. People with
> > shell access to the server will be able to see the votes,
> > unfortunately I don't see how to avoid that without serious rewrite.
> > Also, once the poll is created as anonymous it can't be turned into
> > non-anonymous without resetting the results or manual admin action.
> >
> > Please review/comment. Is it's good, I propose to deploy it on
> > wiki.php.net.
> >

> This seems useful. I do wonder whether we should use by default for
> RFCs. It's interesting to see how different people vote, and knowing
> who voted which way means you can ask them what their objections were.

I have gotten these question in the past, and I think it's important to
be able to be asked why you made a specific choice.

> Though, anonymous voting would mean no potential for harassing people
> for the way they voted (though they're not necessarily free of
> harassment for their opinion - many people make theirs public anyway).

I do think that for normal RFCs, voting should not be anonymous.

However, if we go that way, I find it important that once voting is
closed, the votes are always shown (for normal RFCs) - even if chose to
make normal RFC voting anonymous.

> One concern I have with the patch is that it doesn't appear (by my
> reading of the code) to show who voted. I think it's important to know
> who participated in the vote, even if we don't know which way they
> voted.

I disagree, I think it is important to know who voted for what in the
end. Some accountability is good.

cheers,
Derick

--