Personally, I think we should stick with #2 except for (maybe) where there are
extreme circumstances that require otherwise.  Primarily along the lines of
Peter's note, if people are afraid of the repercussions.  And like Peter, I
don't believe we're there at all.

I'm at least one of the people who talked with Eli regarding the STH vote (the
one for my RFC, not Eli's).  It was a ~20 message DM exchange on Twitter, very
respectful (Eli - if you think otherwise, please say so), and was truly aimed
at understanding the reasons for why he voted against my RFC.  Yes, during that
short exchange I tried to illustrate why I thought he should change it - but
especially in the context of the other RFC being pushed right now, this isn't
harassment and not even beleaguering comments.  Personally, I think that's
completely valid.  It would have been also completely valid had Eli told me
'Zeev, honestly, I prefer not to discuss it.  Please respect it.' or
equivalent, and I can assure everyone that's exactly what I would have done.
In such a case, had I went on bugging him about it, then arguably, that would
constitute harassment.

The reason I think it's completely legitimate - as long as it's respectful and
as long as people respect voters' requests to stop - is that in many (most?)
cases, the first time you know someone is going to vote a certain way is only
after they've done it.  I had no idea that Eli was going to vote against my
RFC, and was genuinely surprised he did, and wanted to know why - and ensure it
wasn't because there was some misunderstanding on his part, or on mine.

If we compare it to public votes in politics, typically (although not always),
it's pretty clear what a given politician is going to vote, as it would usually
be according to party lines.  When there's a contentious vote, or when a
parliament member intends to vote against his party lines, it's not uncommon
for them to say ahead of time how they're going to vote (e.g., the Iran vote
that just went through the US Congress).

We need to separate between healthy, respectful discussion - even when there
are strong disagreements - and arm twisting or harassment.

Zeev