On 2/25/2016 10:26 AM, Tony Marston wrote:
>> Science shows that it is harmful, let's clean it up!
>
> Your "proof" is not scientific, it is just personal opinion. There is no
> evidence that use of the "var" keyword is harmful in any way.

I think the diverged from talking about the "var" keyword in particular
towards duplication in general a long time ago. However, I still think
that DRY is empirically proven.

> Where is your proof? You say "not used by a major part of the community"
> which means that it is still being used by a minor part, but exactly how
> "minor"? I don't see why I should be forced to make a totally
> unnecessary change to vast numbers of my scripts just to fall in line
> with your personal opinions.

It is true that I did not provide this proof because Colin O'Dell did
claim this fact in the very initial message of this thread and I believe
him.

> There is no reason to remove it from ANY version of PHP. It does no
> harm, it would take effort to take it out and amend the documentation,
> but for what benefit?

I stick to the main reason I gave, DRY. Duplication needs to be managed
and removing it removes the maintenance burden.

> Change for change's sake is never a good idea. I have been developing in
> several languages for 40 years, and I can tell you point blank that
> while programmers expect new features to be added they do NOT expect old
> features to disappear. Once a piece of code has been written and has
> proved to work as designed it is expected to work with all future
> versions. The only exception to this is to plug holes in security. This
> is called "forwards compatibility", and was a major selling point of all
> my previous languages. If developers fear that they will have to rewrite
> huge swathes of code each time a new version is released they will
> quickly give up and move to a "professional" language which offers long
> term stability.

I did not say that we should change for change's sake. I only stated
that trying hard to prevent change by all means is wrong. Again, this
diverged away from the "var" keyword alone a long time ago and was more
a general statement.

TL;DR Thanks for yet another aggressive/provocative email, I stick to my
+1. However, you all have valid points to keep it.

--
Richard "Fleshgrinder" Fussenegger