Hi Tom,

I'm building a startup (my fourth) and I chose PHP and Laravel to make it work.

Use the right tool for the job and what not.

I think that you have been trolled (YHBT), you've lost by feeding the troll
(YHL).

Have a nice day (HAND).

Also VIM is better than emacs, carry on with that if we're going to rant about
minutia.

-E

On Jun 22, 2016, at 9:01 AM, Tom Worster <f...@thefsb.org> wrote:

On 6/21/16 3:29 PM, Fleshgrinder wrote:

> My favorite:
>
>> The PHP approach seems to be that any crazy behavior is acceptable as
>> long as it's documented.

People love raggin' on PHP.

It's a virulent meme. It propagates so well in our coder culture because it's
easy, it's just provocative enough to attract attention but it's pretty safe
because you can always find people to agree with you. Participants can feel
smart and superior even if their contribution amounts to "me too".

It's like people raggin' on C++. "They named the language after the worst
feature in C: pointer arithmetic!" Knowingly superior chuckles. I wonder how
many of the people who pile on (propagating the meme) have the understanding of
real experience. My own history with C++ was short but so miserable that I
sometimes join in with this one.

Same thing with Perl. Before that it was COBOL. Raggin' on COBOL is legit even
if you've no idea what COBOL code looks like.

It's a form social behavior for establishing groups and belonging. It works by
using people's need for a sense of identity and validation. Computer people at
a party can use these memes as small-talk to develop relations, either friendly
or not. Our modern comms platforms' gamification literally rewards this
behavior.

But once you're aware of it, it's like American stand-up comics raggin' on New
Jersey. Usually good for a cheap laugh but in reality it's tired out, past its
due date, old, utterly unimaginative, very, very boring, and, in the
Frankfurtian sense[1], bullshit.

There. I finally said it. I've wanted to get it off my chest for years. I
apologize that I rely too much on America vernacular and culture. And for
totally hijacking Leigh's RFC thread.

Richard, nothing internals could do will stop PHP being the butt of these
dreary jokes and insults. And there are more effective ways to push your
agenda. Please consider using them.

Tom

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_Bullshit