On 21/06/2016 06:33, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
Hi!

Why do we need so many functions to get a random int anyways if we now
have random_int()? I would like to see all of them deprecated and
removed in PHP 8.0.

I don't understand this drive to remove functions and break existing
code. What is the point of it? If you don't like them, don't use them.
They can share underlying implementation but there's absolutely no
reason to remove functions unless they do not work anymore, broken and
can not be fixed, etc.

I agree that removing such widely used functions should be done extremely carefully, but marking them deprecated might be a good idea if there is a stronger alternative available. That way we encourage people to migrate, and at some point (PHP 9, 10, never, who knows) maybe they are unused enough that we can remove them safely.

Same with magic quotes and such, it took 10 years, but they are finally gone.

Cheers

--
Jordi Boggiano
@seldaek - http://seld.be