On 03/09/2016 19:44, Lester Caine wrote:
So this RFC is simply proposing that PHP-FIG becomes the standard for
writing PHP code?

No, that is not at all what this RFC is proposing. The RFC is simply proposing to stop bundling the command-line tool "pear" with default PHP builds.

The PEAR coding standards will still exist, the packages created according to them will still be usable, and you'll still be able to download pear, or pyrus, to access them. You could also use composer to access most of them, and publish packages adhering to that style on packagist.org, or pretty much any platform you want.

The only reason I mentioned PHP-FIG is because they are trying to write a modern standard for writing interoperable PHP libraries, which is what you asked for.

I guess we could have a philosophical debate about what it means for something to be "the standard" rather than "a standard", and whether PEAR was "more official" than PHP-FIG, and just who gets to decide what PHP is.

But once again, I find myself being drawn into an off-topic debate about coding styles, and I would like to apologise to Davey as it has nothing to do with his RFC.

Regards,

--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]