> On 4 Sep 2016, at 6:48 PM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 03/09/16 22:53, Rowan Collins wrote:
>> I guess we could have a philosophical debate about what it means for
>> something to be "the standard" rather than "a standard", and whether
>> PEAR was "more official" than PHP-FIG, and just who gets to decide what
>> PHP is.
>>
>> But once again, I find myself being drawn into an off-topic debate about
>> coding styles, and I would like to apologise to Davey as it has nothing
>> to do with his RFC.
>
> I think that what is missing is a discussion on just where one should
> start these days in terms of a basic framework for beginners. That there
> are so many competing "standards" that in many cases do not play well
> together is MY problem. That my key libraries ARE moving to a different
> style and have different ways of loading is a pull one way, and my web
> side interface has other loaders handling javascript and css packages
> which adds to the complexity.
>
> But perhaps we don't bother about the novice PHP user and just assume
> they are all simply using third party frameworks already so all that
> needs to be looked at is improving the library/framework developer
> experience. It would be nice to get back to some BASIC functionality
> such as loading a form, validating it's content, and string the results
> without having a dozen ways of filtering the inputs and a dozen ways of
> accessing the database.
>
> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL

How many competing autoloading standards are there? PSR-0 (PEAR, Zend, etc) and
PSR-4 are the two main ones I know of. Symphony used to have their own style
back in the day, but swapped to PSR-0 with Symfony2 8? years ago. I suppose you
could also work with just a class map, which I've seen some libs use (eg
TCPDF)... That said if you've got some other style, just register a loader for
it and get on with it. Sounds to me like your problem isn't with Composer per
se, but autoloading in general?

Cheers,
David