On 03/09/16 22:53, Rowan Collins wrote:
> I guess we could have a philosophical debate about what it means for
> something to be "the standard" rather than "a standard", and whether
> PEAR was "more official" than PHP-FIG, and just who gets to decide what
> PHP is.
>
> But once again, I find myself being drawn into an off-topic debate about
> coding styles, and I would like to apologise to Davey as it has nothing
> to do with his RFC.

I think that what is missing is a discussion on just where one should
start these days in terms of a basic framework for beginners. That there
are so many competing "standards" that in many cases do not play well
together is MY problem. That my key libraries ARE moving to a different
style and have different ways of loading is a pull one way, and my web
side interface has other loaders handling javascript and css packages
which adds to the complexity.

But perhaps we don't bother about the novice PHP user and just assume
they are all simply using third party frameworks already so all that
needs to be looked at is improving the library/framework developer
experience. It would be nice to get back to some BASIC functionality
such as loading a form, validating it's content, and string the results
without having a dozen ways of filtering the inputs and a dozen ways of
accessing the database.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL