On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 11:17:53 AM CST Michael Morris wrote:

> > > If someone dislikes Tony's commentary for any reason (or no reason!)
> > > they
> > > are free to filter his messages themselves -- and then unfilter his
> > > messages when they see fit.
> >
> > I agree with Paul. It would be different if email clients that allowed
> > filtering were expensive or hard to find. They aren’t, though. Pretty much
> > every email client not only allows filtering, but rather advanced
> > filtering
> > as well.
>
> All fine and well, but it doesn't work when people start quoting the
> offender. Also, filters don't stop the poison from affecting the mood of
> the posters who interact with him.
>
> In my experience loud and obnoxious voices drive off thoughtful and
> introspective ones every time. That is the consequence of giving a platform
> to them. As the saying goes, It's pointless to wrestle a pig - you'll just
> get muddy and the pig enjoys it. From a moderators standpoint, if you
> refuse to block jerks eventually all you'll be left with are jerks.

^^ That.  Exactly that.  Active refusal to police a community results in a
race to the bottom.  Every time.  Every single time.  Add up the amount of
time we're even discussing it, multiply by hour hourly rate...  That's how
much it's costing us to even have this discussion about whether or not we
should expel a long time troll.

> > Instead of suspending users, no matter how egregious their offenses may
> > be,
> > let individual users filter them out as they see fit.
>
> Again, in my experience people usually elect to simply leave altogether
> rather than set a long block list.  And frankly Tony isn't worth even one
> contributing coder.

Precisely.

"Instead of banning abusive users on Twitter, no matter how egregious their
offenses may be, let individual users do the work of blocking them as they see
fit."

Because putting all of the penalty on the people being attacked, belittled,
and distracted is a great idea.  Or they'll just self-filter and leave.

> Tony has been asked multiple times by multiple people to behave.  He's been
> banned from other PHP related forums I know of. He's not here to contribute
> in any meaningful way, only complain and make passive agressive swipes at
> other users. I could go on, but I think that alone makes the case that he
> needs to be gone.

+1 for outright removal of both, but Tony in particular.  In my 10 years on
this list I haven't seen Tony post constructively once.  I've seen him insult,
gaslight, and whataboutism a hundred times.  Please, whoever runs this list,
put him out of our misery.

--Larry Garfield