On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 5:11 PM, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 23, 2018 at 4:22 PM, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Based on some recent conversations, I'm getting the impression that
>> > after PHP 7.3, we might want to go for PHP 8 next.
>> >
>> > I'd like to discuss and possibility decide this now, as that would
>> > make PHP
>> > 7.3 the last chance to get in deprecations.
>> >
>> Would you mind elaborating on your motivations for a major version bump.  I'm
>> not saying I disagree in principle, I'm just curious what you're seeing the
>> drivers
>> as.
>
> I'll send a more detailed letter next week - but in a nutshell, the main
> drivers
> I'm seeing are JIT, FFI and possibly doing something in the front of
> async/long running processes.  Of course there may be other ones
> as well, but I think that these alone constitute sufficient grounds for
> launching a new major version.

Any one of JIT or async/long-running alone would be enough to merit
the bump, so yeah, I'm provisionally on board with that.  FFI is cool
and all, but it's also not really a major-bump-worthy feature.  I
didn't realize the JIT was to the point that it was showing real
promise.  Last update I'd heard was that it was academically
interesting, but underwhelming in practice.

-Sara