Hi Levi,

On 24 June 2018 22:26:24 BST, Levi Morrison <le...@php.net> wrote:
>> Are there particular breaking changes that you think would be ready
>in 2 years time that wouldn't be ready in 1?
>
>Certainly. Large breaks require multi-year planning and multiple
>releases to add migration paths, documentation and training,
>deprecations, etc, before the change itself happens. If PHP 8 is the
>next release then we've missed the window for deprecations and
>warnings (mostly; feature freeze is imminent).

That makes sense. :)

What do you think about planning 8.0 for 2020, which gives us a year
to build those plans into 7.4?

I think it would be good to set a specific target, even if only
approximately, so that we don't just have the same discussion in a
year's time.

>I wish our symbol tables were merged. If they were they we could
>nicely solve some issues...

I'm not entirely sure what deprecation would look like for this, but I
guess that makes it a perfect example of something that needs time to
plan. :)

Regards,
--
Rowan Collins