Fair enough, your position is obviously entirely up to you  - I just wanted to
point out that having pushing a major version was never about breaking things -
it was about delivering major new capabilities or performance to users - with
the ability to break things as a side effect.  I don't think I've ever seen nor
delivered a PHP 7 presentation that included statements like "I can't wait to
show you all the different things we broke in this new major version!!!" - this
isn't what major versions are about.

I should also add that my position also stands - there's nothing that
spectacular about breaking things, and for me at least, the celebration of
being able to break things and the yearn to break more things before 4-5 years
pass by is awkward.  If we could bring major value with the users being able to
just upgrade without an intense code audit/refactoring cycles, it's a feature -
not a bug as far as I'm concerned.

That said - it's OK that we break things if the value of breaking them far
outweighs the cost of fixing the consequences of the breakage - and by that I
mean a more prolonged upgrade cycle and a certain degree of user angst.

Zeev