On 7 Jul 2018, at 23:13, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:

> [...]

Regardless of typed properties this sounds like something that should be
tackled as an independent topic. (It could in theory, if accepted, be a new
type flag introduced in 7.4 and made default in 8.0 that affect all type usage
consistently.)

> Secondly, and somewhat related - typed properties isn't a small feature.  It
> is, in fact, a pretty huge one.  Making exceptions for a fairly minor feature
> or some extra deprecation is one thing.  Making an exception for something as
> fundamental as that feels wrong.
>
> Even though Nikita's proposal and implementation look pretty solid, something
> as fundamental as that should go through a substantial active discussion
> period (which didn't really happen here as it wasn't clear whether this was
> headed for an exceptional 7.3 addition or not) - and independently - should
> perhaps go hand-in-hand with fixing the flaws of the non-strict types -
> something we can do in PHP 8.  If we do the latter, then perhaps, just
> perhaps, we can introduce it hand-in-hand with typed variables - and if we
> do, it will be sensible to do it at the same time and not in a gradual
> rollout.  Personally, I think even independently of typed variables, typed
> properties feel like an 8.0 feature, not a 7.x feature.

While I agree this is big, (from user land it’s fantastic), and should only go
in if solid. It does contradict your argument the other day about being careful
what to push into 8.0 scope as core resources are scarce.

So if we look at it from that perspective, then spreading the risk is
essentially safer.