On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 12:03 AM Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 2:54 PM Zeev Suraski <z...@php.net> wrote:
>
> > It's available here:  https://wiki.php.net/pplusplus/faq
> >

> It's possible I missed something while on holiday. There are certainly a
> lot of messages to page through.  I dig the idea of resolving this
> tug-of-war between progress and BC, but I'm not 100% clear on what the
> final goals are.  I understand that we're talking about more aggressively
> breaking BC in this new mode while preserving BC in "normal" PHP files, but
> I think it would help the conversation if we enumerated specific aims.
>
> Some guesses on what we're talking about:
> [snip]
> Am I *completely* off base?

I don't think you are.  In addition to these and those brought up by Mark -
other things could be making the new dialect stricter across the board -
including operators, array indices;  Requiring variable declarations;
Potentially changing some conversion rules (for explicit conversions), and
potentially changing some operator behavior (not just in terms of
strictness).

As Bob pointed out I'm rusty, but I do think that we can solve the short
tags issue in this way.  At the lexer level, if we see the <?p++?> tag, we
set short tags to off for the scope of the file before moving forward.  But
more importantly, this approach can allow us to implement different BC
breaking strategies (and not just for language features, but also for
built-in functions).

Zeev