Am 13.09.2019 um 09:41 schrieb Lester Caine <les...@lsces.uk>:
> On 12/09/2019 23:16, Mike Schinkel wrote:
>> Those who vote on this list will decide if breaking WordPress end-user's
>> site bothers them or not.

That's something too few people on this list seem to be aware of:
Breaking other people's perfectly functional code because you believe in a
different coding style is not something which should be done easily.

> So we *DO* need an LTS version of PHP that will run perfectly functional
> websites for the next ten years while others create the next replacement for
> the likes of WordPress by moving framework functionality inside PHP ...

I agree!
Which means there will be additional burden on the PHP core developers as there
will be another version to back port security fixes to for a long time. Also
not a decision to be made lightly.

While I do like democracy I also agree with Zeev that it is too easy for people
to vote yes on a breaking change even if they didn't think it through.

So if you voted yes for any change of a notice/warning to an exception (which
will break things) please reconsider!
Is it really worth it? And if you really think so, could we make it opt-in? Or
at least globally opt-out-able?

- Chris