On 18 September 2019 18:33:19 BST, Dan Ackroyd <dan...@basereality.com> wrote:
># Problem 2 - Some threads are not a good fit for a mailing list.
>We should move as many conversations off the internals list as we can,
>while still retaining ways of people finding where those conversations
>are being held.
>For example, it's appropriate for people who are release managers to
>be sending as many emails as they need to, to manage the release
>process. People who have only recently joined the mailing list,
>probably shouldn't be sending as many emails.

I notice that in several of your recent messages, on and off list, you identify
the *number* of messages to the mailing list as a key problem. While it's
certainly true that this can be quite a high-volume forum, I think we should be
making that volume easy to work with, not trying to reduce it as an end itself.

One of the points in your proposed etiquette guide is "you don't have to reply
to every message". I think there is a corollary, "you don't have to read every
message". For instance, if a proposal or question leads to a series of
back-and-forth clarifications, those should be visible to anyone interested,
and easily skipped for anyone not. However, the current platform perhaps makes
this more difficult than it should be.

Although I'm subscribed using a Gmail account, I access the list mainly through
Thunderbird, display posts in a tree view, and regularly leave individual
messages and whole sub-threads unread, even if I'm actively participating in a
different branch of the same thread. Other clients make this much harder -
GMail's "conversations" are optimised for linear exchanges between two or three
people, and are frankly awful for working with a mailing list.

Although initially resistant, I'm coming around to the idea that the mailing
list should be replaced with some other kind of forum. One of the key features
would be good support for branching threads, ideally including the ability to
move messages which have drifted away from an original topic into their own
top-level thread.

Notably, GitHub PRs fail to meet this requirement, as was clear in the recent
experiment. Like Gmail, they're built for a very different task.

On a final note, there are definitely times when people do send too much to the
list, but it's generally not the volume itself that's the problem, but
repetition, lack of clarity, or lack of focus. Better support for threads or
topics wouldn't solve those, but it would solve the common case of "this part
of the conversation isn't relevant to me but I want to read the rest".

Regards,
Hi Dan,
--
Rowan Tommins