[EMAIL PROTECTED] said:
> Actually, it's more difficult to do than it seems (I didn't remember
> the problem, but I've checked the doc): layer 2 objects are created
> with attach_new, which is a method of WMPlex. Only WScreen and WFrame
> inherit from WMPlex, so, AFAIK, it's not possible to attach a layer 2
> object to a workspace.
>
> Tuomo: 1) Did I miss something? 2) Does the ability to attach layer 2
> objects to a workspace sound like a reasonable feature request?
I have to say, I'm having problems attaching to some things too. I had
to adapt this from an earlier message on this list:
function float_attach(fws)
for dummy, win in ioncore.clientwin_list()
do
if win:is_tagged()
then
fws:attach(win)
win:set_tagged('unset')
win:goto()
end
end
end
defbindings("WFloatWS", {
kpress(MOD1.."A", "float_attach(_)"),
-- ...
})
I have this usage pattern: Usually, I want nothing to do with floatws's.
I have a good WIonWS layout that works for nearly everything. But now
and then, I want to use a multi-window app like dia or gimp, and I make
a fullscreen floatws to run that app. Then, I want for whatever reason
to move windows back and forth between the floatws and some frame in an
ionws.
I can easily tag a window in the floatws and attach it to an ionws
frame using attach_tagged(). But I can't tag a window in an ionws and
attach it as a new toplevel frame in a floatws without a trick like
above.
The good news here is at least you _can_ attach windows in new toplevel
WFloatFrames, using attach() as above. I don't know if there's an
equivalent for attach_new(), though.
> A WFloatWS attached to the scratchpad can be the beginning of a
> solution : Put the windows you want to keep for later in it and hide
> the scratchpad.
put them in with a winprop you mean? I guess that could work. I'd have
to use the activity flag to even know they went there. And if I forgot
about the hidden scratchpad for some reason, the application that put up
a modal would seem to be frozen or something.
And doing it manually is no good. It would be easier to just dismiss the
transient. The point is for it not to interrupt me at all.
Jason