On 2006-08-15, Andrea Rossato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Il Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 02:32:21PM +0000, Tuomo Valkonen ebbe a scrivere:
>> Yeah, C is too laboursome to actually write anything even the size of Ion
>> in... but there aren't to many options. I'm not sure something like Ion
>> is best written in a purely functional language (although it would be an
>> interesting experiment), but there aren't any really nice (natively 
>> compiled) strongly and statically-typed typed imperative languages. 
>
> and what about haskell?

Like I said, I'm not sure something like Ion is best written in a language
like Haskell. I like the _language_ itself otherwise, though, but not so much
the megalomaniac libraries in GHC, beyond the standard minimum. Why the fuck
is that these days every language/compiler/whatever must try to provide a
huge hierarchical-to-the-cumbersome wannabe-platform independent library,
with almostIllegibleMarketDroidNamingConventions, attempting to cater for
every need, poorly? And what the hell happened to supporting native
conventions? If you call something POSIX, then it should wrap the C POSIX
stuff as well as possible (up to the names of things) and not implement a
completely new API that doesn't even provide select() or poll() (instead
insisting on using GHC's concurrency hack). Why the fuck is that 
languages/compilers try to be operating systems these days? (Really, GHC's
runtime works as a kernel: http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~hallgren/House/)

-- 
Tuomo

Reply via email to