On 2006-08-17, Ted Zlatanov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You could consider Perl.  

If I wanted a strongly timebomb-typed language, I'd probably use Lua.
But I don't think timebomb typing should be used for largeish projects,
especially not ones that one should be able to depend on, although 
strong timebomb typing can be quite nice for small hacky stuff.

And how is timebomb typing defined?

    Strong timebomb typing:
        Strongly dynamically typed languages, such as Perl, Python, 
        Lua, Ruby, ...

    Weak timebomb typing or weak timesink typing
        Relatively weakly statically typed languages, primarily
        C and C++ of the languages much used anymore. (Weakly
        dynamically typed languages being almost nonexistent.)

    Strong timesink typing:
        Strongly statically-typed languages without type inference, 
        including Java, pascal, C#, and so on.
        
    Timesaver typing:
        Strongly statically typed languages with type inference, 
        including Haskell and other modern functional languages,
        and (at least) Nemerle on the imperative side.

Anyway, I'm not about to switch language or start a new Ion-like project
right now; this has all been hypothetical for me.

> If you dislike Perl that's another story,

Perl is great... as a sed replacement. There are times when it's
the right tool for the job -- the job being something doable in
just a few lines of code and not needing complex data structures
-- but, no, I'm not a fan.

-- 
Tuomo

Reply via email to