On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Vijay Devarapalli wrote:
> > > The requirement that Home Address Option MUST be processed is nothing new;
> > > it's a requirement for every IPv6 node as currently being specified.
> >
> > Right, and this was what we've stated in earlier versions of the draft. A
> > note was, however, added to the latest version of our draft to indicate
> > that the Mobile IP WG is presently discussing what to do with the Home
> > Address Option and whether there are security issues in that as well
> > (as there were other security issues in the Binding Update Option).
>
> The above sentence needs to be put in a certain perspective.
> I think it is wrong it say the Mobile IP WG is wholeheartedly
> discussing this issue. It is more like that this issue has been
> forced upon the Mobile IP WG (like certain other security issues
> it was never meant to solve). And most people (who worked on
> Mobile IPv6 implementations for years) dont take part in these
> discussions either. We implementors (I can speak for a few people)
> were quite happy with Home address option, BU option and
> IPSec (we made it work with Mobile IPv6), until things started
> going wrong from December 2000 IETF onwards.

<semi-rant>

Wouldn't it be nice if one would be allowed to specify insecure behaviour,
and in addition, making it a MUST implement (HAO) or a SHOULD (BU) for
every IPv6 node?  Without regard for consequences?  "Stationary nodes are
not our problem.. they aren't mobile"?

Some might say: feel free to break MIPv6 -- it's your baby after all --
but don't break IPv6 in the process too, please.

</rant>