Rob,

Rob Austein wrote:

> At Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:07:14 -0400, Brian Haberman wrote:
> >
> > Actually that is an incorrect statement.  The IPv6 addressing
> > architecture forbids the use of an anycast address as the source
> > address.  So, the response back from the anycast member will have
> > one of its unicast addresses as the source address.  So, it is
> > similar to your multicast request/unicast response model.
>
> Sorry, back up.  I assumed that this proposal intended to change that
> restriction, since with that restriction in place the resolvers won't
> be able to match up the responses they get with the queries they sent
> and anycast DNS won't work at all.  Perhaps this week's version of the
> proposed solution for this is something that walks and quacks like an
> anycast route but is called something else so that you can use it as a
> source address.  I don't really care either way, it's still an anycast
> route in all but name.

Section 9.2 of draft-ietf-ipv6-dns-discovery-04.txt states:

Since the destination address may be an anycast address, the reply
will necessarily come from a different address.  The host must not
discard the reply simply because the source address is different.
A more detailed discussion of this issue can be found in
[ANYCAST].

So, in my reading it is not proposing to lift the restriction,
rather engineer around it.

Brian