> If site locals were made to go away, they'd simply be re-invented by
> sites all over the place, in totally un-coordinated ways, and the same
> pressures that led to reserving the 1918 address space will just
> reappear.

Just because people do something that we feel is unwise, doesn't mean
we should encourge such behavior (either explicitly, or by
silence). Saying "don't do that" is one of the things that the IETF
can do.

If the real feeling here is that site locals are bad if they end up
reproducing some of the same problems as private addresses, then we
should produce documents that explain when site-locals can safely be
used (i.e., an applicability statement that describes when the IETF
recommends their use). For other uses that people imagine (or that we
expect they will imagine), but for which we think is a bad idea, we
should say *why* its a bad idea *and* we should suggest a better way
of doing it, so that folks who have a particular problem can choose an
appropriate solution.

For example, we could arrange to allow sites to obtain globally unique
address space (though non-routable globally) if they want it for
internal numbering. That would address some of the issues that private
addresses of led to. Note that this is something we can't do in IPv4
because there just aren't enough address for this; IPv6 doesn't have
that constraint.

Thomas