Michael Thomas wrote:

>    The thing I don't understand is whether the
>    address aggregation problem introduced by a
>    new class of globally unique addresses is
>    really any worse than the existing problems
>    with route aggregation, and specifically about
>    mobility and multihoming.

I've been staring at this for three days, and I think the
answer (in the current state of the BGP art) is "yes", or
at least the risk that it is "yes" is unacceptably high.
Just stuffing some probably-unique bits into a SL is not
going to generate aggregatable addresses; it's going to
generate entropy in the routing table.

>    ...It's quite possible
>    that we could make things significantly worse
>    by introducing a new class of routing prefixes,
>    but as far as I understand, the ultimate fix
>    for routing table explosion isn't especially
>    well understood, and it may require its own
>    set of draconian measures *regardless* of
>    site locals.

True, but let's not make things even worse in the meantime,
by inventing non-aggregatable pseudo-global local addresses.
We don't need them; we've got aggregatable real global addresses,
and we can perfectly well use them for the sort of bilateral
private routing setups that Keith mentioned.

Michel Py wrote:
> >> It is a terrible responsibility to embed everyone-gets-one
> >> PI-address in the addressing architecture.
>
> > Keith Moore wrote:
> > why do you think it's not an equally terrible responsible
> > to say "nobody gets a global address prefix unless it's
> > tied to a provider"?
>
> I don't. What part of my postings makes you think so? Tony and I are
> proposing schemes that are aggregatable and that are not tied to a
> provider.

For the record, you've yet to persuade me that these schemes are
aggregatable in the real world of competitive ISPs.

   Brian