On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Nick 'Sharkey' Moore wrote:

A few comments on some portions of the draft.

On the general approach, first:

 1) the draft needs to spell out much more clearly how the modifications
to RFC2461/RFC2462 (and whether they have been done) affect on the
behaviour on the links where there have or haven't been upgraded nodes.

 2) I'm not sure if this is the right approach.  Something better suited
could be found, I believe, in adding functionality to first-hop routers'
ND cache behaviour; a router could answer directly which could be
interpreted like "don't use that address, I just recently saw it used here
by another node.. but if you're really sure you want it, perform DAD as
specified in RFC2461/2".

Two particular nits:

1) [DUPONT] has had a revision.

2)

   Optimistic DAD is a useful optimization because DAD is far more
   likely to succeed than fail, by a factor of at least 10,000,000,000
   to one[SOTO].  This makes it worth a little disruption in the failure
   case to provide faster handovers in the successful case, as long as
   the disruption is recoverable.

==> this is totally, and completely wrong.  [SOTO] only provide analysis
in *some* cases, in particular autoconfigured vs privacy addresses.  For
manually assigned addresses, I believe the ratio is closer to 1:10 or
1:100 (unmeasurable, of course).