> A router might (and probably should) be hard-coded not to
> forward link-local packets, as there is no reason to ever
> forward them.
>
> However, a router that might ever need have multiple
> interfaces in a single site can't be hard-coded not to
> forward site-locals. Whether or not they will be forwarded is
> the result of configuration.

Actually, a router can forward link-locals between interfaces on the
same link. In particular, a router can forward a packet with link-local
dest and/or source back out the interface from which it arrived (and
presumably generate a Redirect too).

If you are implementing link-locals properly, it's really very little
additional code to support site-locals. At least that's my experience.

Rich