> or to put it another way, why do you have so much faith in
> filters of SL addresses and so little faith in filters of prefixes?

Your "so much faith" and "so little faith" are exaggerating my position.
But I do think that site-local addresses will offer better security in
practice than filtering a global prefix. Why is that?

First, the security of the site-local addresses rests on proper
configuration of the site boundaries. I think this is easier to get
right and maintain than filters of a global prefix. It's simpler
conceptually. For example when a site renumbers, any filters of the
changing global prefix would have to be updated. Any mistakes in this
process would not be immediately obvious. Also the configuration of the
site boundaries can be handled automatically in some circumstances. For
example Microsoft's ICS product (a firewall) automatically puts the
interfaces on the inside & outside of the firewall into different sites.

Second, there is "defense in depth" of the site-local prefix. Suppose an
administrator does screwup the configuration of a boundary router. In
practice there will be additional site boundaries between an attacker
and the misconfigured router. I expect transit routers in the internet
backbone would filter site-locals. So the attacker will still not have
access to the site via site-locals.

Rich