pyungsoo wrote :

> As i know, APs are acting as link-layer relays, which means that they transport
> Ethernet-layer frames between the wireless medium and the subnet.
> In other words, APs don't provide the IP functionality.

Ok. I see.

> Do you mean that APs should provide the IPv6 functionality to "cache RAs"?

I am telling about an advanced MIPv6 issue "Eliminsation of the random delay before
sending an RA."
Brett Pentland said that the followings are a number of MIPv6-optimization discussed
on the mailing list.

Optimistic DAD -
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moore-ipv6-optimistic-dad-00.txt>
Fast router advertisements -
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mkhalil-ipv6-fastra-02.txt>
Fast router discovery with AP notification -
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jinchoi-l2trigger-fastrd-01.txt>
Duplicate Address Detection Optimization using IPv6 Multicast Listener Discovery -
 <http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daley-ipv6-mcast-dad-01.txt>

I think that the above documents are worth discussing in the next step of mobileip WG.

The second document is related to *Fast RA*, and the third document is related to
*Cached RA*.
In my opinion, the Kempf's *Fast RA* is a good idea
because it only requires the change of router, IP device.
However, I don't want to combine the idea with the current MIPv6 spec
, since many MIPv6 guys urge MIPv6 to be a standization.
As a seperate draft, we had better discuss the idea.

The third document is a good idea, too.
'AP cached RA' is a simple and easy-deployable method
which can reduce the L3 handover time of mobile nodes.
Yes. The idea is to insert the small part of IPv6 functionality into APs.
As far as I understand, the idea can be an alternative to fast RAs in another separate
draft.

> as i know,  there are two 802.11 deployments : with relays APs and with integrated
>AP/AR.
> thus, i think this proposal(APs cache RAs) can be considered in IETF if  802.11
> deployments with "integrated AP/AR" is considered. what do you think?

I agree with James Kempf.
In an integrated AP/AR, 'AP cached RA' is no different than having
the router send the RA after the MN has done the reassociation.

Youn-Hee Han.